“I became successful due to several reasons. I never gave up and I never let anyone or anything get in my way. I use the power of positive thinking to tackle obstacles and challenges so they don’t defeat me.”
- Lillian Vernon
She is a businesswoman and founder of the Lillian Vernon Corporation, a company that specializes in personalized gifts.
“No matter what shape it is, how much you love or hate it, whether it feels tired and worn down or lively and invigorated, …your body is the most precious thing you have.”
- Cameron Diaz
She is an American actress, former model and author of The Body Book. This book has recently been getting a lot of attention in the news. There are several messages that I agree with (like the one above), but her suggestion to eliminate cheese from your diet?? Not sure that’s one I can get on board with, considering that I’m from the Dairy State (& I believe in the motto “eat everything, but in moderation”). I’m curious, what are YOUR thoughts on this…are there certain foods you won’t eat?
To review: http://www.amazon.com/The-Body-Book-Science-Strength/dp/0062252747
“I feel better in my mind when I work out. It makes everything better.”
- Keri Russell
She is an American actress and dancer.
“Whatever you do, be different – that was the advice my mother gave me, and I can’t think of better advice (for an entrepreneur, especially). If you’re different, you will stand out.”
- Anita Roddick
Why have I included this wonderful quote in the category of strength? Because, I believe it can sometimes take courage to stand apart from the rest of the crowd…
She was the founder of The Body Shop, a cosmetics company.
“I always looked ahead.”
- Chris Evert
She is a former professional tennis player from the U.S.
“A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are for. Sail out to sea and do new things.”
- Grace Hopper
She was a computer scientist and rear Admiral for the U.S. Navy.
Since it’s Valentine’s Day today, I’m publishing a previous post of mine about c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e!
While certain health benefits of dark chocolate continue to be up for debate, I’m just going to have to go with my gut on this one. After eating some, I notice that I suddenly feel better. Therefore, I conclude it is positively good for us! Well, at least this is what I like to tell myself.
Ever since living in my first lil’ apartment, I have had the habit of keeping a candy dish nearby. Typically my guests can find it sitting in my entry way, filled with dark chocolates ready to greet them. So for this week, I have compiled a virtual candy dish ready to greet you. Here is a short list of my favorites:
- Burdick’s- I try to visit this shop whenever I’m in Boston. The only problem is it’s hard to choose just one treat. A healthier alternative is their chocolate bar with other ingredients mixed in: gojiberry, blueberry and cocoa nibs.
- Cocoa Via- I used to buy these yummy Cocoa Via bars at my local Wal-mart. I can’t find the bars anymore, but they do sell other great products on their web-site: http://www.cocoavia.com/goodnessknows.
- Dove dark chocolates- You can usually find a bag of these in your local grocery store. The messages inside are an added bonus.
- Trader Joe’s- If you are lucky enough to have a Trader Joe’s store close to home, give their dark chocolate bars a try. They are tasty, and reasonably priced (some are as low as $1.99). They also sell something called “Powerberries” (pictured above). However, I choose to call them magic-berries because it’s amazing how GREAT you feel after eating a handful!
- Chocolove organic dark chocolate- These have been given to me as gifts, but I’ve also seen several unique flavors at Whole Foods. Also, you can locate them on-line.
Are there any others you would add to this sweet & healthy stash?
“I believe that you, too, can achieve optimal fitness if you make getting and staying in shape a priority; adapt your workout routine to your body’s ever changing needs; approach working out as an integral part of taking care of yourself; and then go for it.”
- Dara Torres
Remember her? At age 41, she was the oldest swimmer to compete in the 2008 Olympics. Proof that age doesn’t matter when it comes to reaching our goals. This quote is from her book, Gold Medal Fitness: http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Medal-Fitness-Revolutionary-Program/dp/B00A18EN86
After watching The Olympics for the past several nights, I’ve seen amazing performances & heard some inspiring quotes. After figure skater Gracie Gold took the ice, she was asked how important it was to embrace her love of skating while competing:
“Really important. We’ve been reading Phil Jackson’s book, and you know, when you let go of all the fear, that’s when you find the love for, not just sports, but anything in life.”
Phil Jackson’s book, Eleven Rings- The Soul of Success: http://www.amazon.com/Eleven-Rings-The-Soul-Success/dp/1594205116
Did you know running shoes should be replaced about every 300-400 miles?
If you’re doing the math in your head & are ready to shop for new sneakers, there are some fun & colorful options:
1) Asics Gel Kayano $160- A high-stability running shoe, the 20th version (yep- it’s been around that long!) is available in 5 different color combinations. My favorite is the hot pink. What’s yours? http://www.asicsamerica.com/Shop/Footwear/Running/Womens/GEL-Kayano®-20/p/0010198281.9036
2) Nike Air Pegasus $100- This one comes in mint green, pink, blue, yellow…you name it! This shoe has staying power as well, having been around for 30 years. http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/air-pegasus-30-running-shoe/pid-776899/pgid-745931
3) New Balance Minimus 1690 $69.99- Currently they are running a sale on this shoe, so sizes are limited. I have a runner friend who loves this brand, because as she says there is no “break-in period.” A definite plus! http://www.newbalance.com/Minimus-1690/W1690,default,pd.html?dwvar_W1690_color=Dark%20Grey_with_Diva%20Pink_and_Light%20Blue&start=14&cgid=2010004)
4) Saucony Cohesion 6- Out of almost 75 reviews, this one received over 4 stars…that’s pretty amazing for such an affordable shoe! Originally priced at $55, it’s on sale for $42.00. http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteController/saucony/womenscohesion6/4-112060/catId/cat10002/stockNumber/15156-12/skuId/***4*******15156-12*M075/subCatId/cat700256/showDefaultOption/true/productdetails
Are there any other sneaky places you find deals on running shoes?